Riding with a disability might seem like an impossible task. You would like to, or know someone who would just LOVE being on a bike. But you have no idea on where to get a bike, no idea on what bike would work.
We get you, we’ve been there… We understand
With over 30 years of experience advising Australians on cargo bikes, we are happy to help you and your family find the right bike for your needs.
We stock a wide range of bikes suitable for many different needs. Our range includes bikes for wheelchairs, tandem bikes, side to side rides, box bikes etc
With a background in special need nursing and hands-on personal experience with a son in a wheelchair we understand the needs, complications and the freedom a bike can give to any family
We work with O.T.’s, physio’s, health specialists, families & always have the need of the client at the front of our advice.
Here with our son, a Perthes warrior!
Why consider riding with someone with a disability?
- Inclusive for all family members, younger siblings and friends can ride in the bike with the client, helping equality.
- Other family members (siblings, niece/nephew, cousins etc) cycle the bike, helping in family – bonding, very important in the years to come, in the future it will be important that family has a positive connection with the client. Riding a bike is an easy way to do an activity. Also for friends and family members who can find it difficult to find an activity that suits them.
- Both mum and dad can ride the bike due to the easy adjustment of the seat and the electric assist making it a very easy ride for everyone. The whole family can go out and about.
- Inclusive in the community, going to the shops, library etc. having a chat with someone is much easier in the bike. People will see the client and get to know him/her, making him part of the community. Fresh air, the wind on his face, feeling the elements.
- You may think that you’re safe little home is much better for you than the big wide world, but it’s not so, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Studies have found that the concentration of some pollutants is often two-to-five times—and sometimes more than 100 times—higher indoors than outdoors.
- Feeling of adventure, part of a team, doing something together. Community and family rides, the client can be in charge of the snacks and jacket/jumper. They will feel independent, important and part of a team.
- New things, being slightly out of your comfort zone will help anyone grow.
- Outdoors/being in nature helps with; mental health, reduces stress, fight anxiety and much more
With different tandem options, for children and adult, including folding options to take the tandem with you on holidays etc our tandems are great for many people! Think of the following;
Kids who can ride, but have no sense of direction or steering. Kids that can ride, but are non-weight bearing can now go on family adventures.
Adults that can ride, but have visibility issues, or have lost the sense of their environment (eg dementia)
Nihola makes some great options for people in a wheelchair. The flex, which carries a standard wheelchair. The Flex 2.0 can carry a bigger (electric chair). Both trikes come with a ramp to wheel the chair on to the platform. The Flex comes in an acoustic and electric pedal assist version.
The Nihola rehab is a wonderful nimble trike with a fully opening door, a child or adult can walk, supported into the cabin. There is an option to place your own (PANDA) chair on special brackets, or we can supply a bench with a harness. This trike comes with a run/sun roof, so you can ride in any weather! It comes with a powerful electric assist.